Professional Membership Scheme. This section is for any professional with an interest in joining the HMSA as a ‘Professional Member’. If you are a patient or service user please email email@example.com
‘The HMSA continues to grow from strength to strength as many professionals of differing disciplines seek to become members of the charity. The HMSA is now taking Professional Membership, as it believes that having the two distinct populations of those affected by hypermobility syndromes, or Heritable Connective Tissue Disorders, can only be a long term benefit. The two populations, professionals and service users, will intertwine via the HMSA and hopefully be a driver for changing attitudes to people who may be significantly affected and ‘dis-abled’ with persistent pain, fatigue and a host of multi-systemic symptoms. It is important to recognise the expertise of service users and their families when it comes to addressing the impact of these syndromes. Having access to a service user member database will enhance professional knowledge, awareness and also increase potential research opportunities. We hope that current HMSA members and professionals will see this as an exciting opportunity which should be grasped with two hands. Each can educate the other and in the end that can be a very powerful tool to aid change.’ Donna Wicks (HMSA CEO)
If you are interested in working with people who have one of the Hypermobility Syndromes or Heritable Connective Tissue Disorders we would like to invite you to apply to our new membership scheme. This scheme is suitable for any professional discipline, including researchers and students. The HMSA is a positive organisation which believes that education in the treatment and management of a hypermobility syndrome can help to empower patients. But we also know that many of our members are severely disabled by the condition and these members can benefit from professionals with an interest and a good knowledge base. Having an early diagnosis and advice from informed professionals can help to reduce the potential for disability and the negative impact that this can have on an individual’s life. The HMSA is globally recognised for its work in supporting people with a hypermobility syndrome. We are regularly contacted by professionals and experts from the UK and all over the world for information and advice. Becoming a HMSA Professional Member will mean you will be part of this network and be contributing to the knowledge base. We follow the latest Data Protection legislation so you can be sure that we keep your details securely and we always maintain confidentiality. We would never release your information without prior permission.
Professional Membership So what benefits will professionals receive?
- On registration each professional member will receive a sample of HMSA patient health and social care information, a certificate of membership and an official HMSA pin badge.
- Professional members will have access for advice from qualified medical, health and social care professionals who work for or with the HMSA. Primary contacts will be Dr Alan Hakim (Chief Medical Advisor) , Ms. Donna Wicks (CEO/RMN)
- A copy of the twice yearly HMSA Journal in April and October. (Professionals can contribute to the Journal by submitting articles, case studies and research opportunities.)
- Quarterly professional only e-newsletter. (Professionals can submit information for the HMSA to share amongst other professionals, such as study days, conferences or research studies.)
- Additional HMSA email contact if new research or information is time sensitive.
- Assistance with recruitment for research projects, access to non-identifying patient data, dissemination and the option of the HMSA being the ‘patient partner’.
- Priority booking on professional and patient combined training and education opportunities.
- Opportunity to engage HMSA professional team for learning opportunities.
- For professional members in either NHS or private practice there is the option of having your details on a ‘contact list’ for the HMSA to use to inform patients of your services. You will need to ‘opt in’ to this on the membership form
Professional membership starts at just £48. If you would like further details please email firstname.lastname@example.org
At the request of HMSA members please find a ‘Letter of invitation to become a Professional HMSA Member’ for download. Invitation-to-be-a-Professional-HMSA-Member-Aug.2014 v.4